One winter evening

As the last rays depart from the frostbitten ground,

The room holds its breath in a dark silence profound

In the silence where laughter once filled the air,

Echoes of memories linger, filled with care.

This winter never made me feel so lone

I wander through memories, forever alone.


The moving waters are now still and frozen

Stricken by death’s cold embrace that has left me broken

An emptiness, a void I find myself in

The silent cold air on my face, raises a storm within


My fingers trace the path of the old dusty frame

I can’t help but feel your absence, whispering your name

That love that once flourished is now gone

The flakes fall upon me disengaging from the clouds

In my hearts quiet chambers there is a cold air

the floral garden of memories is now bare


The cold leaves that perish and depart from the tree

Grow a fear in me that the memories of you will flee 

Each crystal tear that I flow

Bury my sorrows deep in the snow

Your laughter and words have filled my mind

and oh there is nothing but coldness I find


This winter, Even though we are miles apart

Your spirit I feel counting the faint stars

Knowing the fog will slowly creep away

and that the trees will be soon full of leaves that sway

Oh deep within me I know

A new summer will come bringing light to the day

And the snow will carry my sorrows and would melt away.


-Yashi varshney 10F

Comments